Your Thoughts

Share your thoughts about the project

3 Likes

I like the idea of a fully web-managed dockerized “Media Machine”.
Waiting patiently for the closed alpha/beta, whatever :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Looking forward to the project!

1 Like

Would of been great to know about this before we lost pg lol. Cant wait to move my box over to this project

1 Like

Yeah, if we knew it was coming we could have given people a heads up and share this place as an alternative. We obviously have the discord but some people prefer forums. It’s a bit empty now but hopefully as the project starts going it will start to fill up with information :grin:

Thanks for all your interest in this project!

2 Likes

There are still tons out there either using PG or some fork of it, I am sure as soon as this is released folks will be here in droves lol.

2 Likes

How would someone go about contributing to the project? I have some web dev skills that I would love to use to help the project along.

3 Likes

Very exciting! I was actually thinking of wiping and redoing my PG install to move e away from GSuite (once unlimited storage is confirmed to be gone). It’ll be nice to follow this project and start fresh when the time comes!

1 Like

Welcome to the community! Thank you for the offer @freakaziod210 we really appreciate the support but at this moment we are not looking to increase the development team. We have everything we need for the moment but should we need anymore help in the near future I will get back to you :grin:

1 Like

Little late to the game but following with interest

1 Like

Very Interested to see where this goes, and contributing to the code. Being using PG for a lot of years

1 Like

Looking forward to the project!

1 Like

Maybe this is as good a place to ask as any - Is this a new, totally separate project from PG? What’s the origin story of this project, if you will? I think I’m gathering that it’s a replacement now that PG is virtually dead from a development standpoint? I asked about the future of PG on the old forum several months back and admin closed and archived the post pretty quickly.

I’ll be following this project with interest!

This is a completely new project we are working on. One of the focal point we are striving for is a great UI which will allow you to manage the box. This eliminating the command line which could be hard for novice users. Now if you need help with PG we have support for it due to sudobox still being in development.

1 Like

To that end, what are the conditions for this project? Will it be open source? What license will it have?

As mentioned earlier that there is no interest to expand the development team. Is that permanent?

Other than creating a Dockerized Media Box, what other plans are there?

Separate question from the development team, as I have not much experience, will it possible to use Podman instead of Docker? I mean it seems you are already creating a custom UI to manage things, I wonder if that custom UI can be used for other things.

We are a team who have always supported the PG community but wanted to dive into our own project coded from the ground up. We started on this project before PG went down but it seemed to time well with Admin deciding to throw in the towel (see here).

3 Likes

Right now we are still hamming out the releasability of the project. When we get the Beta hammered out we will also figure out what kind of license we will use. We never said we are not opened to more developers/helpers we encourage help in all aspects of the project. Right now we are pushing with docker because it what we have experience with. If you have insights into other processes we would be open to a discussion.

3 Likes

I am not sure my suggestion will be useful in this case. My suggestion although has its merits, may entail more work than what is good for a successful beginning.

Podman, though I think more secure and most docker commands work as drop in replacements, it still has some differences.

I am unsure as to how the new UI manages / connects to the various containers, but I suspect it uses the Docker Daemon which Podman does not have. As such things like Portainer, would not work, I believe.

I appreciate that you humored me and my suggestion! :smile: Thanks.

We are open to all suggestions about the project and we will visit each one to see if it’s beneficial. So keep them coming. Right now the project is on docker and utlizing daemon @hawks can confirm that for me.

Yeah, we are happy to look into alternatives but tbh, the whole project is built around docker/docker containers. I can’t see us changing to an alternative anytime soon. We utilize many of the features Docker provides which is what helps our project to be smarter and more secure. Moving to a new system we would have to learn it from scratch and try to implement the same features and security.