Good News Everyone,
We have some exciting news for you this Fact Friday! There have been discussions and we have decided to release two versions of SudoBox. Some of you have asked if there will be a command-line version of SudoBox and the answer to this is YES! We will now have SudoBox Lite and SudoBox Dashboard .
Our Dev team have been working hard to put together the backend of SudoBox. Our main priority is first of all security, but also ease of use. Lots of work has gone into the backend of SudoBox to ensure that every part of the project is secure without compromising usability. It has now been decided that we will share this hard work with you all and have put together SudoBox Lite . This is a command-line driven project that will give you all the benefits of SudoBox but in a small package. This will not come with the Dashboard you have all come to know and love but don’t worry, when this is available you will be able to upgrade!
Simple answer, very soon! So far, most of the logic is complete. The new reverse proxy is set up and working better than we had imagined (this took a lot of working and testing to get right!! thanks @doobsi)! This links in perfectly with our new Single Sign-On application that handles all of our security access. Intertwined with both of these is also the Fail2Ban some of you may already know and use (for SSH) but as I said above this now links to your web sign-in page to add extra security. The new app installer logic has been coded and is much more organised and also faster than before!
While we have described this version as Lite… it is far from it. While keeping to a very small footprint, it is very powerful and fast!
- SudoBox Lite will be able to be installed on all Debian-based Linux Distros, to name a few
- The reverse proxy Traefik has now been upgraded to V2 and we are using all of the extra features available to this upgrade.
- We have now switched the Single Sign-On feature to an amazing new project called Authelia which allows us to take full control of the process and host everything ourselves (so we are not dependant on google for the oAuth process).
- Fail2Ban has now been integrated into the reverse proxy and Authelia so you have added peace of mind. If someone is trying to brute force your web authentication (Authelia) their IP will now be banned.
- We have added API functionality through Authelia so you will be able to access your applications safely even with the Single Sign-On enabled so you should never have to turn it off and compromise security.
- Many more security features have been added to this project to allow users to run their servers without being compromised.
Some users have found it difficult when setting up a media server with an iGPU or Nvidia GPU to get hardware transcoding running. although this is an easy process, there are some extra steps that users need to follow. To make this easier for you, we have added an automated process when you install an application like Plex or Emby. If the install detects you have an iGPU available or an Nvidia GPU, then it will run all the extra scripts and make all the adjustments automatically for you. we will even enable hardware transcoding inside plex for you on install (providing you have a plex pass).
This version of SudoBox will include all the applications you are used too. We will use the same structure for the SudoBox Dashboard version and include some “core application” that will be available out of the box. This will be enough to get you up and running in no time.
Most of you will be used to the install process of Plexguide. This project used Ansible to install all the applications. While it was a powerful tool, we found it slow and tedious. We have now replaced that with Docker-Compose and have found it much much quicker to install and edit containers! Once you experience it yourself you can be the judge of that
As always, you know we love to hear from you guys. Let us know what you think of SudoBox Lite down below!!