Hetzner AX41 or EX42

Hello

In your opinion which server to choose between this 2 :
01 - Dedicated Root Server AX41-NVMe

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-Core “Matisse” (Zen2)
  • 64 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 2 x 512 GB NVMe SSD (Software-RAID 1)
  • 1 Gbit/s bandwidth
  • 34 euro/M

02 - Dedicated Root Server EX42-NVMe

• Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Quad-Core Skylake
  • 64 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 2 x 512 GB NVMe SSD (Software-RAID 1)
  • 1 Gbit/s bandwidth
  • 39euro / M

I mean for converting witch one is better AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or Intel I7 6700 or Intel I7 7700?

It depends on what you want to do with your server. The AMD has massively more power but the Intel has an igpu.

So if you need cpupower take the AMD, if you have a lot of transcoding take the intel with igpu.

If you download a lot, the 2x4tb HDD instead of nvme + additional ssd for the os would be recommended because the nvme with all the write curtains otherwise goes defective after some time and you then have to wait until support replaces it.

You can find the prices here:
https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-hardware/

thank you for your quick answer

This makes me nervous about my EX42-NVME. I went YOLO when I set it up and used the SSDs in RAID 0 so it’s a big 1TB volume but no redundance, and in the two years I’ve had the server I’ve ran over 220TB of data through it into my google drive and team drives. That’s on SSDs that were already used when I got the thing. I’m not sure what the TBW of these nvme’s are but it’s at an age where I feel like when Sudobox is out I’m going to buy another one and start all over on new hardware.

I do like having the SSD’s though from a performance standpoint. Extracting files is so fast, it makes the plex database snappier, etc.

220TB should not be a problem for modern nvme.
You can check your disks with smartctl or in the rescue system with hwcheck.
on this page you can find everything about it: https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/troubleshooting/serial-numbers-and-information-on-defective-hard-drives/#drive-test-with-hardware-check

1 Like